Sexual Dysfunction in Women

Sexual Dysfunction in Women

Written by keepushealth
Monday, 11 July 2011 01:04
What is ual dysfunction? What causes ual dysfunction? How do I know if I have a problem? What can I do? Can medicine help? What else can I do? What about my partner? How can my doctor help? When you have problems with , doctors call it ual

What is ual dysfunction?

What causes ual dysfunction?

How do I know if I have a problem?

What can I do?

Can medicine help?

What else can I do?

What about my partner?

How can my doctor help?

When you have problems with , doctors call it ual dysfunction. Both men and women can have it. There are 4 kinds of ual problems in women.

Desire disorders - When you are not interested in having or have less desire for than you used to.

Arousal disorders - When you dont feel a ual response in your body or you cannot stay ually aroused.

Many things can cause problems in your life. Certain medicines (such as oral contraceptives and chemotherapy drugs), diseases (such as diabetes or high blood pressure), excessive alcohol use or vaginal infections can cause ual problems. Depression, relationship problems or abuse (current or past abuse) can also cause ual dysfunction.

You may have less ual desire during pregnancy, right after childbirth or when you are breastfeeding. After menopause many women feel less ual desire, have vaginal dryness or have pain during due to a decrease in estrogen (a hormone in the body).

The stresses of everyday life can also affect your ability to have . Being tired from a busy job or caring for young children may affect your ual desire. You may also be bored by a long-standing ual routine.

Up to 70% of couples have a problem with at some time in their relationships. Most women will have that doesnt feel good at some point in her life. This doesnt necessarily mean you have a ual problem.

If you dont want to have or it never feels good, you might have a ual problem. Discuss your concerns with your doctor. Remember that anything you tell your doctor is private and that your doctor can help you find a reason and possible treatment for your ual dysfunction.

If desire is the problem, try changing your usual routine. Try having at different times of the day, or try a different ual position.

Arousal disorders can often be helped if you use a vaginal cream or ual lubricant for dryness. If you have gone through menopause, talk to your doctor about taking estrogen or using an estrogen cream.

If you have a problem having an orgasm, you may not be getting enough foreplay or stimulation before actual intercourse begins. Extra stimulation (before you have with your partner) with a vibrator may be helpful. You might need rubbing or stimulation for up to an hour before having . Many women dont have an orgasm during intercourse. If you want an orgasm with intercourse, you or your partner may want to gently stroke your clitoris. Masturbation may also be helpful, as it can help you learn what techniques work best for you.

If youre having pain during , try different positions. When you are on top, you have more control over penetration and movement. Emptying your bladder before you have , using extra lubrication or taking a warm bath before all may help. If you still have pain during , talk to your sexual problemsdoctor. He or she can help you find the cause of your pain and decide what treatment is best for you.

If you have gone through menopause or have had your uterus and/or ovaries removed, taking the hormone estrogen may help with ual problems. If youre not already taking estrogen, ask your doctor if this is an option for you.

You may have heard that taking sildenafil (Viagra) or the male hormone testosterone can help women with ual problems. There have not been many studies on the effects of Viagra or testosterone on women, so doctors do not know whether these things can help or not. Both Viagra and testosterone can have serious side effects, so using them is probably not worth the risk.

Learn more about your body and how it works. Ask your doctor about how medicines, illnesses, surgery, age, pregnancy or menopause can affect .

Practice sensate focus exercises where one partner gives a massage, while the other partner says what feels good and requests changes (example: lighter, ster, etc.). Fantasizing may increase your desire. Squeezing the muscles of your vagina tightly (called Kegel exercises) and then relaxing them may also increase your arousal. Try ual activity other than intercourse, such as massage, oral or masturbation.

Talk with your partner about what each of you like and dislike, or what you might want to try. Ask for your partners help. Remember that your partner may not want to do some things you want to try, and you may not want to try what your partner wants. You should respect each others comforts and discomforts. This helps you and your partner have a good ual relationship. If you feel you cant talk to your partner, your doctor or a counselor may be able to help you.

If you feel like your partner is abusing you, tell your doctor.

Your doctor can suggest ways to treat your ual problems or can refer you to a therapist or counselor if needed.

Written by editorial staff.

Female Sexual Dysfunction: Evaluation and Treatment by Nancy A. Phillips, M.D. (American Family Physician July 1, 2000,

Reviewed/Updated: 08/10

Created: 09/00

Last Updated on Tuesday, 12 July 2011 01:04